Rhyme With A Reason

Thanks for visiting!!

Monday, May 10, 2010

SHE DID IT!!!

I'm happy to report that, despite heavy winds, a 4 a.m. bus ride and a seemingly hereditary geographical impairment, Mom and I made it to New York City to walk for Ovarian Cancer. I'm even happier to report that the girl still has her groove! Proudly parading her recent health victory, Mom hauled her healthy cookies two miles from the Intrepid Museum, along the Hudson River, and right up the middle of Broadway to the finish line at Times Square! She didn't even stop at Starbuck's.


AND - with the generous generosity of generations of the genuinely genial generated- our fundraiser brought $522 to the OCRF!! I am as grateful as a beaver after a thunderstorm.

Overall, the walk raised $137,000 for the research fund. Sweet!

After walking, the stars appeared on stage. Oprah, Bette Midler, Gayle King, Dr. Oz and Jennifer Hudson had their say and received celebratory cupcakes. Alas, without a telescope they were difficult to see. I must admit, my astronomical geek high took a hit.

We ditched ;) Oprah early enough to see Paganini, a comically twisted string quartet. We chose the show blindly after an unsuccessful quest for a warm place to sit and it quickly became the highlight of our trip.


Yes, we shopped. No, we didn't find a cardboard cutout of Matt Lauer. Sadly, the Naked Cowboy didn't make an appearance either. Instead, Mom considered taking me up on a bet to apply for a job at Hooter's, but decided the commute would be a bit much.


As we hopped on the bus to go home, I prepared myself for a few quiet hours confined to a seat with nothing to do but think. Contemplated bliss, if you will.

The ride took me on a familiar journey to the mountain of blessings my life has seen. I am so thankful for the incredible support of family and friends that lifts me from many valleys. No matter how lost I get, there's always a way. Hot coffee on a chilly day is also a good perk, but it tastes just as good when you get it in your own kitchen. Fun and laughter help shield me from things that could otherwise blow me over.

"Welcome to Pennsylvania," I read from my window seat. I turned my head and smiled at the view inside the bus as yet another blessing shone. I thanked God for the truth the past year made sure I saw: stars that shine in the distance could never compare to the twinkle sleeping in the seat right next to me.





2 comments:

  1. i'm so proud of you mom.
    grandma too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recap. You are a gift!!

    ReplyDelete